- 2 cups of wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 2/3 cup of yogurt (I used Alpro soya vanilla, but I only had about a third of a cup so I threw in half a banana as well.)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used a nut oil)
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract (I totally forgot to put this in, but I think the vanilla yogurt would have made up for it)
- Vegetable margarine and baking parchment/wax paper
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp icing / powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp agave / maple syrup (I used agave)
I’d mix the icing first, you can obviously mix a butter icing if you aren't very keen on peanuts.
Take all the ingredients, bung into a bowl, get out your electric whisk (or a very strong arm) and mix away . Set aside.
Grease and line either two 8 inch cake pans or three 7 inch sandwich pans (I used the 7inch as I couldn't be bothered to climb to get the 8 inch down from on top of the kitchen cupboards – it’s early in the morning I don’t want to be up and down chairs when I’m not fully awake).
Pre-heat oven to Gas4 / 350f
Take two bowls, one big, one not so big. Put all the dry ingredients into the big one and mix well with a fork.
Then in the second bow put in all the wet (and the banana if you are in the same predicament as me) and using an electric whisk, or a strong arm, mix till bubbly frothy. (If you substituted with banana – step back, when the chunks go through the electric mix you get sprayed).
Then coat with the icing and enjoy. I decorated mine with some dairy free buttons but it would look lovely with a block of dark chocolate grated over the top.